Wednesday, January 26, 2011

1 year later

Jan 29, 2010, cheking into the picu from surgery.

Forgive me as it is an emotional time. One year ago we had celebrated His First birthday and then on the 22nd of Jan. we got the news  Gabriel had Leukemia. However they could not type it over the next week he had a 2nd bone marrow drawn to continue trying to type it. On Jan 28, we checked into Davids House, on the 29th he checked into the PICU and on the 30th he started the first round of chemo. I try not to think about it but, the mind goes there. To the pain and the heart ache. To the crying, anger and the meltdown I had at home after receiving the news from his Oncologist. I remember seeing the sadness in the eyes of Gabriel's regular medical team/ICN family and how tenderly they helped us deal with receiving/processing the news. Then the PICU staff and friends we have made from the Leukemia stay. Thank you to everyone who has been there for Gabriel and his family. It has been a roller coaster ride. This past weekend was an emotional weekend for me. I am sure over the next months it will hit me at times really hard. I rejoice in that 1 year later he is a happy 2 year old and except for the scars, o2 requirement and a few chemo side affects you would not know he is a CANCER SURVIVOR!!! Yes, the last CBC in November showed no signs of the Leukemia.

8 mos. Home from the PICU & Thriving.

2 comments:

Becky said...

He's a fighter...and so are you! xo

Lacey said...

You went to hell and back with that boy last year! Did he have TMD, or was the leukemia totally seperate?