Monday, April 18, 2011

Going home

Sorry I haven't been able to post much. I am catching the red eye tonight to JFK and the to Burlington,VT (then home).  My heart is torn I want to stay to help but I have my own family. Why do we have to live on the east coast.

Dad is now in Acute Rehab to do intensive work to get him home. Its heart breaking to see him the way he is now. He went from a man who knew computers and cars in side out to a man who doesn't know who we are most the time or where he even is. He went from a man who could do everything on his own to needing help, constant cues and help like he's a year old. As I sit at SeaTac I know today is probally the last time I will ever see him alive. I also worry cause my sister flew home yesterday, me today and though my brother lives out here (he went back to work today)  it will be a tough road for my mom. (our extended family lives in NC). Tonight is her first night alone since the fall that came so close to claiming  his life.

Eric needs me back home. An I am so thankful he forced me to fly out. Though Gabriel has been giving him a run for his money with  not eating, vomiting and loose stools the whole time.  At his clinic visit he had lost 3 lbs. but, on a good note he is back of the vent.  Gabriel even decanulated himself (1st time without being hooked to the vent and the first for Eric being alone when it happened) while sitting on Eric's lap.  Eliana is enjoying herself in Maine with her cousins and the boys are now on Spring break. Again this have been shorted out of a fun break/vacation.

Trying to find the silver lining right now. I think I am emotionally spent. Kept my emotions in check to be strong for my mom, sis and brother. I was the one with the most knowledge of the medical stuff and how it works. Time to get off and take a walk and dry my eyes. Thanks everyone for your prayers. Hope this update made some kind off sense.

3 comments:

Lacey said...

I can't even imagine how torn you are right now. I'm losing my mind having my hubby in a different state. I know its a totally different state, but I'm spent too. I wish we lived closer so we could go to a spa together!
I feel so bad for my hubby. He is staying with my sister, who right now has no water. I want so bad to send him to this hotel thats only 44 bucks a night, but I can't even afford that since I'm flying him home this weekend for Easter!

Lacey said...

Thats different situation, not different state! See my mind is gone too!

Unknown said...

hi Amy and Eric - my sympathies for all the troubles you have been going through - i hope that you can find some peace somehow in the midst of all of this...talk about care-fatigue...i hope things settle down somewhat in the near future - you guys deserve a break!