is truly a home away from home. I don't know what we would have done without this special place. I lived there from Jan to May in both 2009 and 2010 with occasional nights in between. The staff is so wonderful and it mainly runs with the help of volunteers. No one is ever turned away for lack of a donation. If you have a child being treated at DHMC you are welcome to see about room availability anytime.
God has been talking to me about this for awhile and I have been trying to figure out how to act on his calling. SO this is one way I thought of as a way to try to give back a small part of what has been given to us. I know I will never beable to match it.
The Picture is of Eric and Gabriel in Jan. 2010 at Davids house in the Bunny room. We stayed at the house the night before he checked in for Chemo treatment for Leukemia and did not check out til May 13, 2010. This was also the first room we stayed in after he was born.
They open there arms and say:
Welcome to David's House
David's House is the dream of a young boy, David Cyr, who passed away at the age of five after almost three years of battling acute lymphocytic leukemia. Throughout his time in the hospital, David made friends with the other children receiving treatment for illness and injuries, and always begged his parents to take his new friends home with them to his house, his haven from the pain and uncertainty of his condition. David's parents met other parents and caregivers who slept in waiting rooms, cars, anywhere just to be next to their child, and when David passed away in 1984 the dream of taking all of these families home began to become a reality.
David's House has served over 10,000 families from around the world since opening its doors in 1986.
I have had the privilege of meeting Mr. Cyr and shed tear with him this spring as I shared Gabriel's battle with him. This man truly wants NO child or family to suffer. What a way to honor his own sons battle.
Davids house has 15 guest rooms that can have 2 to 6 people in them. 2 full kitchens , 3 laundry rooms and many bathrooms. It takes alot to run this home daily and guests are supplied with almost everything. The house is located on the hospital grounds but it is not supported/funded by the hospital at all. Davids house also supplies the family waiting areas in the ICN, PICU and Pedi at the hospital with snacks from the donations they receive for the house.
I can't do alot but I feel I need to give back in some way to Davids house and CHAD (Children's Hospital at Dartmouth). This is one way I can and Eric is going to set up a golf tournament next summer.
I am looking for a few people to help me in making some casseroles, cookies, brownies and other goodies they can freeze and cook when another volunteer group in not providing a meal. Also here is a list of supplies they provide the families free of charge-- if any of these you can provide that would be appreciated too. Everything donated will go straight to Davids house.
Supplies needed..... tooth brushes, toothpaste (small tubes), shampoo, conditioner, snacks, microwaveable popcorn, microwaveable single serve ravioli, soups,mac and cheese, and spaghettio's etc..., granola bars and other snack bars, pop tarts, instant oatmeal packets,Laundry detergent, dryer sheets, fruit cups, pudding and jello cups, period pads, nursing pads, toliet papper, papper towels, size 3 diapers and up, wipes and there is more just ask. We would also love to donate to the ICN, PICU and Pedi $5 to $10 visa gift cards so that the families can get needed items, a meal, coffee, gas, etc.. We will also be collecting deck of cards, board games, baby toys, hand held electronic games etc.. to also deliver to CHAD. All toys /clothes must be NEW. NO stuffed animals, please. Whatever God lays on your heart.
With any homemade food you send please include ingredients for possible allergies people may have, reheating instructions and please use aluminum containers or baggies, as items will not be returned.
Another thing you can do is save your Soda can tabs, baggie them up, give them to me and I will turn them in to Davids House and they will turn them in for money to run the house.
Our next visits to DHMC are Sept. 22 and Oct 19-- we would love to start taking stuff then and monthly or bimonthly after that. Contact me an I will meet you if you can't come to me.
We are going to set up a foundation to work on ways to give back. Yeah -- in my spare time!!!! ROFL.
I am going to buy a little extra of whats on sale/coupons and make a couple of healthy casseroles with the kiddos this weekend. Start watching sales and clearence racks for others things we can get. Time to teach my kids about giving back.
I pray none of you need these services but - you never know. We never thought we would and still do. Questions call me, email me (zoomzoomvt@gmail.com), contact me on FB or leave a comment here. Nothing will be kept by us, EVERYTHING will go to benifet the children and families in need. THANK YOU.
1 comment:
We love David's house! I'll see what I can pull off and let you know. Thanks for doing this.
Post a Comment